The first day of summer (Thursday, June 21) is almost here at Dows ClimateCare and the forecast – according to The Old Farmer’s Almanac – is going to be HOT.
- “Summer will be HOTTER than normal with rainfall BELOW normal. The hottest periods will be in early and late June, early July and mid- to late August. September and October will be WARMER and slightly DRIER than normal.”
More sun? Less rain? Hotter temperatures?
Add it up, and it sounds like your air conditioner is in for quite a workout this year.
Is your home cooling system ready for it?
It’s not if it’s exhibiting any of the following signs when you turn it on.
Sign 1: The temperature is wildly inconsistent
- Sometimes, you get cool air. Other times, you get downright frigid air. And every so often, the air doesn’t feel cool enough.
- This is a BIG problem if your air conditioner actually produces warm air.
Sign 2: It leaks….a lot
- Trace amounts of condensation dripping on the outside of your AC is to be expected. But if the ground under your air conditioner looks almost flooded, that’s not good.
- Too much moisture can interfere with the electrical components of your AC (and should be addressed ASAP with air conditioner repair).
- This is a BIG problem if it’s refrigerant (not water) dripping from your unit.
Sign 3: It’s frozen
- Frozen is a great movie for kids, but it’s not what your air conditioner should be. If the AC coils freeze while in operation, turn it off ASAP.
- Usually, this is a quick fix with some common air conditioner maintenance (faulty thermostat, fan maintenance).
- This is a BIG problem if debris, junk, and other obstructive objects are preventing air from properly flowing.
Sign 4: It smells bad
- Smell something unpleasant each time your turn on the air conditioner? Check the filter. It could be dirty and simply need replacing.
- If this filter is clean and your AC still produces an odour, that’s symptomatic of a different problem.
- This is a BIG problem if, in addition to a bad smell, dust, mold, and mildew is being spread throughout your home.
Sign 5: Your energy bills are on the rise
- Even if your AC looks to be “normal”, a sure sign can be found on your energy bill. If it’s spiked up dramatically (and you aren’t sure why), check to see if you’ve overworked your system.
- This is a BIG problem if your bills keep going up because your current air conditioner is at the end of the road.
Not sure about your air conditioner? Let us help
No doubt about it: A reliable air conditioner is a necessity to get through the hot summer months.
However, if your AC is showing any of the signs above (or acting strangely in other ways), contact us for a service visit.
After all, the last thing you want is for the air conditioner to give out on the hottest day of the year.